Thursday, March 2, 2017

Getting a Handle on Things

Given that

  • netty TLS is giving me grief*
  • Socket based SSl/TLS seems to work
I have decided the following:
  • All network communication (send/receive) will go through the network object
  • All network communications will use a handle: nothing will use the network directly
  • For sockets, all receives will use their own thread
I'm no too crazy about the last point, and in particular I don't know if you can ask a socket to send a message while you already issued a receive.  We shall see.

The good news is that this should make testing easier: just call a method and see what messages end up in the various queues.

* = After looking at the state of non-blocking, secure (i.e. SSL/TLS) I/O in Java, I changed my opinion of netty; but it still may have bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment