Monday, February 27, 2017

Wasting Away Again in TLSville


I spent (wasted) the day trying to get TLS working.

For the record, here are the commands for creating the keys:

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout ca-key.pem.txt -out ca-certificate.pem.txt -days 365 -nodes
keytool -import -keystore truststore -file ca-certificate.pem.txt -alias ca  -storepass whatever
keytool –keystore serverkeystore –genkey –alias server -keyalg rsa -storepass whatever
keytool –keystore serverkeystore -storepass whatever –certreq –alias server  –file server.csr
openssl x509 -req -CA ca-certificate.pem.txt -CAkey ca-key.pem.txt -in server.csr -out server.cer -days 365 –CAcreateserial
keytool -import -keystore serverkeystore -storepass whatever -file ca-certificate.pem.txt -alias ca
keytool -import -keystore serverkeystore -storepass whatever -file server.cer -alias server

I have developed a simpler program that doesn't use netty.  For the interested, I have put it up on Github at

https://github.com/ClarkHobbie/ssltest2

SSL/TLS can have an overpowering lure to it, and cause me to waste time trying to fix it; hence the wasted day.  My posting to Stack Overflow has gotten neither votes nor help, leading me to believe that if anything is going to happen with this problem, I will have to do it.

All hail netty!

No comments:

Post a Comment