Monday, February 20, 2017

Testing

Miranda is supposed to be an example of how I would like to go about designing and implementing a system.

This means testing.

Testing and I have a long and contentious history.  The problem is that I'm lazy.  I don't want to go to the extra effort of writing tests.  In addition to writing the test itself, you have to setup preconditions and evaluate post conditions making the effort on par with writing the code that it is trying to test.

Bottom line: tests are as expensive as the code itself.

And if the underlying system changes, the the tests have to change as well; making changes even more expensive.  Thus certain people (read me), want to delay writing tests until the system is "finished" (like that ever happens).

So I don't like writing tests.

But I'm getting to the point where one part of the system is stepping on another part when I try to test some aspect; so off I go to write tests.

Oh the joy.

Looking at the alternatives, I will use JUnit unless I find something better.

I can just taste the excitement.

All hail netty!

No comments:

Post a Comment